Industrial Chemistry (TUM Asia)
Course of studies
Duration of study (semesters)4
Description of course of studiesThe Master of Science in Industrial Chemistry is a joint degree by Technische Universität München (TUM) and National University of Singapore (NUS) and is offered by TUM Asia since 2002. It is a full time program which is held in Singapore and administrated by TUM Asia, Singapore.
TUM Asia is a full subsidiary of TUM and is an international extension of TUM, to provide TUM degrees in Asia, in cooperation with top Asian universities like NUS.
This program is an enriching postgraduate course for specialist engineers in the fine and specialty chemical industries as well as in the pharmaceutical area. The course aims to groom future leaders in the fields of pure and applied chemistry. The focus of the Industrial Chemistry Master’s program is on the specialized fields of organometallic and coordination chemistry, bioorganic chemistry and chemical reaction engineering combined to other specific chemistry related or technology-focused business and interdisciplinary management skills to support their individual interests.
The Master’s program is taught by TUM professors involved in the home campus, together with support from the local NUS professors, whereat freelance lecturers from industry and research are also involved. Lectures will be held across TUM Asia‘s and NUS campuses in Singapore. Moreover, students are given the opportunity to complete their internship and Master thesis at TUM main campus in Germany, at NUS or even in companies in Germany/Singapore.
This programme makes it possible for students to obtain a degree with both Asian and European perspectives, creating graduates that are ready for the global-ready and globally employable.
Costs:~48,000 Singapore Dollars (29,500 EURO)
For more information, download our brochure here: http://tum-asia.edu.sg/admissions/programme-brochures/
Qualification profile (of the graduate)
Graduates from the joint TUM-NUS Master of Science in Industrial Chemistry programme:
- Graduates will not only obtain knowledge and understanding in both chemistry and chemical engineering, but also the ability to apply the acquired knowledge, learning and research skills to receive an appropriate qualification to work for leading chemical or chemical-related companies or to proceed for an academic career after their graduation.
- Graduates will understand the major principles and processes of the chemical industry and the options and limits of adjusting chemical reaction conditions and to develop improved or alternative reaction routes.
- Graduates will handle the standard lab techniques and are able to analyze chemical compounds with standard analytic methods.
- Beside the in depth knowledge and practical skills acquired, graduates are also equipped with basic soft skills and management skills through compulsory modules such as Chemical Business Administration or Legal Aspects in Chemical Industry and selected topics in Industrial Chemical Marketing. The graduates understand the intercultural aspects, government structures and differences in European and Asian regions in business and private environment.
- The internship and thesis work allow students to handle a project by themselves, apply and practice the research and project management skills in order to solve a real research-based problem.
- Graduates can choose to enter the industry to work as Chemists, Research Engineers, Project Engineers, Research Scientists or take up management roles in chemical industries
- They can also continue in research institutes as Research Associates/Doctoral Candidate (for PhD)
- Graduates typically obtain employment in countries like Singapore, Germany, Switzerland and China, with others opting to return to their home countries to work
Pre Essential Modules ( Compulsory)
- Business and Technical English
- Bioorganic Chemistry
- Organometallic and Coordination Chemistry
- Chemical Reaction Engineering
- Chemical Business Administration
- Petroleum and Petrochemistry (Area 1)
- Biochemistry ( Area 2 )
- General ( free choice from Area 1 or Area 2 or from Electives Modules )
- Building Chemistry & Construction Chemicals
- Water Chemistry & Industrial Requirements
- Industrial Chemical Marketing
- Production Planning in Chemical Industry
- Material Chemistry and Engineering
- Pharmaceuticals & Fine Chemicals
- Advance Organic Synthesis and Spectroscopy
- Mathematical Methods in Chemical and Environmental Engineering
- Advanced Reaction Engineering
- Trace Analysis
- Advance Organic Synthesis
- Topics in Supra molecular Chemistry
- Modern Analytical Techniques
Cross Discipline Modules (Compulsory)
- Legal Aspects in Chemical Industry
- Intellectual Property Law
- Free choice of cross-discipline module offered in GIST-TUM Asia MSc programmes
Course of studiesIndustrial Chemistry (GIST-TUM Asia)
InternshipThe 2 months internship and 6 months master thesis may be undertaken either at NUS, TUM or in a company in Singapore/Germany.
Internship´s office (Link)http://tum-asia.edu.sg/admissions/graduate/master-thesis-internship/
Application and admission
ApplicationStudents are required to meet the Admissions Requirements after which they can submit their Online Application via www.tum-asia.edu.sg and then send TUM Asia their hardcopy documents, together with the application fee. Once the result is released, TUM Asia will release the result via email to the student. If the student is offered a place, he/she will receive a Letter of Offer.
Information on the aptitude testhttp://tum-asia.edu.sg/admissions/graduate/admission-requirements/
Start of courseWinter semester - August each year
Application PeriodNov. 1 - March 31
Admission notificationMay - June
- Submit two (2) copies of Official / Provisional Bachelor Degree Certificates and two (2) copies of Official or Provisional Academic Transcript (Documents must be a certified true copy or notarised / attested copy format)
- Submit two (2) different recommendation letters from Professors or Employers
- Submit one (1) A4 page Letter of Motivation that indicates the reason(s) you are interested in the programme you applied for
- Submit one (1) Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Submit two (2) Passport-size photographs and one (1) Passport Biodata Page photocopy (the page with your personal particulars)
- Proof of English Proficiency – TOEFL / IELTS / CAE* (Required for applicants whose native tongue or medium of instruction from previous studies is not in English)
Requirements for TOEFL: Minimum 605 for the Paper-Based test / 234 for the Computer-Based test / 88 for the Internet-Based Test / IELTS: Overall IELTS results of at least 6.5 / CAE (Certificate of Advanced English): Grade A, B or C
- Akademische Prufstelle (APS) certificate (Required for ALL applicants who hold a degree from China, Vietnam, or Mongolia)