ESPACE-Earth Oriented Space Science and Technology
Course of studies
Duration of study (semesters)4
Description of course of studiesEarth Oriented Space Science and Technology (ESPACE) is an international, interdisciplinary Master’s program which combines space engineering with satellite applications related to Earth system science, remote sensing and navigation. This combination of disciplines distinguishes ESPACE from other Master’s programs in related fields.
ESPACE benefits from and utilizes its location in Munich with the city’s unique concentration of expertise related to space science and technology. The ESPACE Master’s program is coordinated at the TUM with excellent teaching staff from
The program is conducted entirely in English and is geared towards students with a Bachelor or diploma in science or engineering, e.g. Aerospace or Electronic Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Informatics, Geodesy, Geophysics, etc.
- 3 universities (the TUM and Ludwig-Maximilian University, both in Germany’s top three ranked universities, and the University of the Federal Armed Forces)
- Research institutions (such as the German Aerospace Center (DLR) and the German Geodetic Research Institute (DGFI)
- Space industry (such as EADS and Kayser-Threde —companies leading in European space industry)
ESPACE Alumni can be best described as satellite application engineers, now working or doing PhD studies in national space agencies, space industry, research institutions, or universities.
Major fields of studyStudents in the program gain fundamental knowledge in space engineering with a focus on Earth-oriented satellite applications related to Earth System Science, Remote Sensing, and Navigation. In the third semester, students choose between three specializations: Earth System Science, Remote Sensing or Navigation.
The fourth and final semester is dedicated to the students’ master’s thesis and its defense in the master’s colloquium.
Guide to study (Link)http://www.espace-tum.de
Course of studiesESPACE-Earth Oriented Space Science and Technology
Application and admission
Application period for winter semester: 01.01. - 31.05.
Our online application portal TUMonline will create a checklist with documents you have to hand in. The checklist shows which documents you need for admission and for enrollment.
You must submit the signed application form and all documents you need for admission before the application deadline, i.e. before 31.05. If individual documents for admission are not available up to that date, you can hand them in until 15.08.
You must submit all documents you need for enrollment before 15.09. If individual documents for enrollment are not available at that date, you can hand them in up to five weeks after the start of the lecture period. However, we recommend that you submit all required documents well before the semester begins, as you will not be enrolled until all documents have been received.
Please check your TUMonline account regularly to see if we have any queries to your documents or if you have to amend one or more documents.
Start of courseWinter Semester
Application PeriodDeadline: May 31
Admission notificationOnline after verification of application documents
- Application form including a passport-size photograph
- Official authenticated copy of Bachelor degree or Diplom or equivalent from an internationally recognized university in science or engineering (such as mathematics, physics, informatics, mechanical/electrical/aerospace engineering, geodesy, geophysics)
- Officially authenticated copy of university transcripts
- Certificate of English language ability – TOEFL/IELTS score report or minimum score 10 points in Leistungs- or Grundkurs as part of German Abitur
- Statement of purpose
- Curriculum vitae
- Two letters of recommendation from professors
- Scientific essay (500-700 words)
Application documents (International students)In addition to the documents listed above, GATE results (Indian applicants only), APS Certificate (Chinese applicants only) are required. If the documents are not in English or in German, officially authenticated translations must be added.
Attention! You will get a checklist of the required documents after completing the online application.