How Can I Create a @mytum.de E-Mail-Address? How Can I Access My Mails?
Every student, employee or guest of TUM gets a mailbox automatically. After creation the address is by default <LRZ-Accountname>@mytum.de, e.g. email@example.com.
TUM, especially the TUMonline System (campus.tum.de) sends important notifications to this address. So it is of your very own interest to check this mailbox regularly or to forward these emails to another mailbox.
Where Can I Create an Address like firstname.lastname@example.org?
Of course email@example.com is not a very beautiful email-address. You can choose another address yourself. For this you login to TUMonline (http://campus.tum.de). Then you click in the upper right corner on your name. By this you arrive at your "business card". There you click in the lower part on the link "E-mail Addresses". After this a new window pops up. There you can enter a @mytum.de address. If you are a employee or guest you can create an additional @tum.de address. email-addresses are handed out by first come first serve principle.
Choosing where the mails are delivered
You can choose where your emails will be sent to:
- Als Forwarding ("Nur Weiterleitung"). This means, that your mails will be forwarded to another mailbox of your liking. To achieve this, choose the radiobutton "Nur Weiterleitung" and enter the email-address where your want your mails to be forwarded in the field "Meine Weiterleitungsadresse". Pleas take care that
- the address is written correctly
- that the given address is ready for receiving emails, e.g. that there is still quota left
- we suggest that you send a test mail to your @mytum.de address immediatly to check whether forwarding works correctly.
- Receiving the mails in the mailsytem mail.mytum.de. For this choose the radiobutton "MyTUM-Mailbox"
- Receiving the mails in the central Exchange Server system of TUM. For this choose the radiobutton "Exchange-Mailbox".
Be aware that if you choose either "MyTUM-Mailbox" or "Exchange-Mailbox" and have an entry in "Meine Weiterleitungsadresse" mails will be sent to the choosen mailbox and to the forwarding address.
Sender address (main e-mail address)
When defining your @mytum.de or @tum.de address, make sure to define your "Sender address (main e-mail address)" as well. This address is used by the exchange system as your sending address an by the eLearning-System as loginname.
How Do I Access My Mails?
This depends on delivery method you choosed.
- If you decided for forwarding, all emails will arrive at the mailbox given by you. How to access this mailbox you will know yourself.
- If you have choosen "MyTUM-Mailbox" you have to possibilities:
- If you have choosen "Exchange-Mailbox" you have again several possibilities:
How Long Can I Keep My firstname.lastname@example.org Address?
As long as you like. But after you left TUM we cannot provide you with mailspace anymore for legal reasons. But you can keep your address an forward mails to this address to another mailbox.
Is there any further Documentation?
For sure, but it is in German. At least it contains pictures: